Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What is My Purpose as a Missionary?

Today was another wonderful day with more coincidences. As I was sitting in our office training class, the Sister next to me was working on the iMOS program for her new mission - Florida Tampa. She pulled up the couple that her and her husband are replacing and their name was Mott. She said they were from Vernal. I asked her what the Elder's first name was . . Dennis Mott. I told her that he is my second cousin. His mother and my dad are first cousins. She wrote down some information and is going to tell him that we met in the MTC. As we were visiting with Elder & Sister Burns today at lunch, he told us that he is related to Wade and knows his uncle Curt really well. The world just keeps getting smaller!

Our office training was great today. More review of computer programs that I have used in my working career. It amazes me daily how our Heavenly Father knows each of us. He has a plan for us and makes it possible for us to learn things that we can use to further his work.

Tonight our devotional was given by Elder Richard Maynes from the First Quorum of the Seventy. He talked about the 3 most important gifts from our Heavenly Father - 1) His Son Jesus Christ; 2) The Holy Ghost; 3) Eternal Life. By receiving the first two gifts it makes it possible to receive the third gift. Elder Maynes focused his remarks on the Holy Ghost.
  • In 1839 The Prophet Joseph Smith met with US President Van Buren. He was asked what makes Mormons different from everyone else? The Prophet answered "We differ in our mode of baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost."
  • In 3rd Nephi 18 the Nephities prayed for 'that which they most desired'. That was the Holy Ghost. They were baptized and the Holy Ghost came down upon them.
  • Each week we attend our sacrament meeting to 'renew our baptismal and temple covenants. We are told 'that his Spirit will always be with us". In D &C 121:26 it states, "God shall give unto you knowledge by his Holy Spirit, yea, by the unspeakable gift of the Holy Ghost."
In Preach My Gospel, it tells us what the purpose of a missionary is: Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and Hist Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.

So as I continue on this new adventure of being a missionary, I will keep this purpose in mind as I meet people and converse with them. What an honor it is for me to be a missionary and to invite Jesus Christ into the lives of others.

2 comments:

  1. Love reading your posts Connie.. I always knew you would be a wonderful missionary and i can tell you ARE for sure already. Take care as you travel and let us know when you arrive :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful journal. Thanks for letting me listen in. Love you and so sorry that I missed your farewell. Have a most beautiful journey.
    Melanie Hopes

    ReplyDelete