Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Lord's Tender Mercies . . .

Wade writes a letter home each week to family and friends.  This week he talked about our Mission Tour last week and some of the testimonies that the Elders shared.  He gave each of their names and what they had said.  One he mentioned was Elder Strong.  We have gotten to know Elder Strong well because he is one of the Assistants to the President and is in the office with us a lot of the time.  He is a great young man.  He will be going home next week and he will be missed (as each of the assistants are that go home after two years of serving)!

One of Wade's friends read his letter and wrote back asking where Elder Strong is from.  He had had a mission companion from Driggs Idaho with the same last name.  We asked Elder Strong if his dad had served a mission and what his name was.  (He died when elder Strong was only 8 years old.) His dad had served a mission in Brazil.  Elder Strong is the youngest of 12 children.  The other 11 children  have been married in the temple.  I sent his father's name back to our friend and it was indeed the same person.  Small world, right??  

When I gave the note with contact information to Elder Strong, he related the following story.  He had been talking with his companion about their fathers last night.  He said he has wondered many times what his dad was like since he was so young when he passed from this life.  He told me that he had said a prayer that he would be able to learn more about his father.  Then the note came today from our friend.

Some make call it a coincidence.  Others may say it is a miracle.  But I think it is the tender mercy of a loving Father in Heaven answering a plea from a young man who has given two years of his life to serve an honorable mission.  

I also think that Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us.  We are instruments in his hands.  
We have often wondered why we were sent to this mission and to an office mission.  Wade tells me it is because I didn't want to learn a language.  I think it was so he could learn patience.  I know that as I look back over my life, I was placed in positions to learn the skills that I needed to serve in the office.  But I also think that we were sent here to help Elder Strong find someone that can tell him what a great man his dad was.

This reminded me of when our youngest son, Charlie, was called to the India Bangalore Mission.  Soon after he arrived in India, he was approached by some church members asking if he knew a Dale Jewkes.  Charlie told them that was his grandfather and that he had passed away.  Wade's parents had served a mission in India in the 90s.  Evidently, Dale ordained a young man to the office of Elder in the Melchizedek Priesthood.  This young man had been searching for his line of Priesthood authority.  Charlie was the answer to that quest.  We were able to get the information sent to this young man after his search for many years.

Yes, there is a plan for each of us.  Sometimes we will be given the opportunity to be a part of those tender mercies from our heavenly Father to others.  We need to always live our lives so that we can be an instrument in our Heavenly Fathers hand to do those things that are required of us.

I am so grateful for those tender mercies and hope that I may always be worthy to do the things that my Heavenly Father wants and needs me to do in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment